There are many wild animals that fall into the class of animals known as rodents. This includes such things as rats, squirrels, raccoons, and possums, among others. These animals are known to have very sharp teeth which they help to maintain that way by constantly gnawing on materials that will help to increase the strength and durability of their teeth.
While you may not really care about this when they are living in a park or forest area, it is an entirely different story when they are living inside your home. In this location, they have the ability to do a great deal of damage to boards, tile, and other materials that would be ideal for them to chew on.
While them chewing on these areas of your home is a nuisance, it doesn’t generally pose a serious risk to your property. However, this is not the case when they are chewing on the electrical wiring located inside your house.
The fact of the matter is that animals such as these find the coating that surrounds your electrical wiring to be an ideal source for them to be able to chew on to strengthen their teeth. It has the right kind of coating to make it so that the teeth become stronger and this is why they enjoy it so much.
You will not enjoy it as much, however. There are many things that pose a risk for you when the wiring is frayed in this manner, not the least of which is that it poses a serious fire hazard to your home. With no coating around the wiring, electrical sparks are able to get out of the wiring area, and if this is close to flammable materials there is no doubt that it has the potential to start a fire. You also have the concern that the animal itself may catch on fire if it were to bite into the wiring and cause an immediate short period this does not happen frequently, but there are instances where an animal has exposed the wiring and caught on fire doing so.
On top of that, you also have the risk of it shorting out wires so that outlets or light switches will not work. This will stop you from being able to enjoy the benefits of your home to the fullest.
Rodents are not the only animals that will chew on electrical wiring, however. Bats are another animal that are known to get inside a person’s home, and will also chew on the wiring. They have the same kind of teeth as rodents, meaning they need to strengthen them as well, and your wiring can be the perfect solution for them.
Another animal that indirectly “chews” on your wiring are birds. The way that they normally do so is by packing at the board that is near the wiring, missing at times and hitting directly on the outer casing to the wiring. This exposes it and causes issues like shorts and fires.
Read more: Florida Wildlife Control